In Our Street
In Our Street brings together neighbours to work on building sustainable, connected communities. Neighbours meet, set small achievable goals, and work towards projects.
The Port Environment Centre has created lots of great materials to help support small, local, In Our Street groups to develop and take on their own little environmental projects.
We have started to test the concept, in partnership with the City of Port Adelaide Enfield, and currently have 3 pilot groups within the local area (Semaphore South, Newport Quays & Port Adelaide).
Here's some examples to get you thinking.....
Growing Together - In Our Street
Are you & your neighbours interested in greening your gardens?
In partnership with the City of Port Adelaide Enfield, we’re offering 4 FREE advanced trees to plant in yours & your neighbours’* yards.
We are looking for ‘Street Champions’ to bring their neighbours together and collectively commit to planting 4 trees (provided) and 16 native understory plants (purchased by you).
We have the capacity to provide trees to 4 ‘In Our Street’ groups.
Expressions of interest by 28 July, applications by 9 August, planting by 12 September.
Growing Together is another example of an In Our Street project.
- Must reside within Port Adelaide Enfield
- Minimum commitment from 4 households in your local neighbourhood
- Commitment to purchasing & planting 16 native understory tubestock plants (~$3-5 each)
- Planted on private yards**
- Must be planted by September 12th 2022
- Sufficient yard space***
- Put your hand up to be a Street Champion!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest by 28 July.
- We’ll send you more information & templates to help you reach out to your neighbours.
- Letterbox your neighbours & arrange a gathering.
- Determine who is interested & who has space for which species (choose from these).
- Fill in our short application by 9 August.
- If you’re successful – collect your plants & get planting! (by 12 September)
- Send us some photos and tell us how you went!
Simply email email@example.com confirming you are a resident in the City of Port Adelaide Enfield & we will send more info!
Or get in touch anytime if you want to find out more.
*Neighbours don’t need to be in your ‘street’ but must be local, as discussed with the Port Environment Centre.
*Verge spaces will be considered if private yards are not suitable. Must be agreed upon prior by PEC & City of PAE.
**Allocated yard space must be minimum 1 square metre & 1 cubic metre of soil capacity, with adequate space for canopy that won’t adversely impact neighbours, roofs etc.