Trees cool and shade our homes and buildings reducing electricity bills, increasing property value, and are our best way of adapting to the impacts of climate change. Currently, the City of PAE has an estimated tree canopy cover of 10-12%. Our urban areas are becoming hotter and drier due to a changing climate and higher density development. More trees are being removed from private land than on public leaving many streets and suburbs vulnerable to impacts from increased heat during summer months.
The benefits of tree canopy include:
- cleaning water, air and soil
- reducing the effects of climate change
- providing habitat for wildlife
- contributing to mental health and wellbeing
- adding character and economic value to our neighbourhoods
The Growing Together Project
In partnership with the City of Port Adelaide Enfield, we are offering:
FREE ‘mature’ trees (each valued at $50-60) to plant in your gardens, in a joint project with your neighbours. We are looking for ‘Street Champions’ to bring their neighbours together and collectively commit to planting a native tree or several (provided) and 4 native understory plants per household (purchased).
Interested? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest by April 11. We’ll then send you a bit more info and some handy resources to help you reach out to your neighbours.
- Email email@example.com to register your interest by April 11. We’ll send you more info!
- Reach out to your neighbours. Determine who is interested & who has space for which species.
- Fill in our short application survey by May 9.
- If you’re successful – collect your trees (June 4*) & get planting!
- Plant your trees & native plants by July 31 (or earlier!) + Send us an update with some photos! We’d love to see!
*Trees can be picked up from the PAE Nursery on Sunday June 4th, or as arranged with the Port Environment Centre.
Are you & your neighbours interested in greening your gardens? In partnership with the City of Port Adelaide Enfield (PAE), we’re offering FREE ‘mature’ trees to plant in your & your neighbours’* yards.
- Must reside within Port Adelaide Enfield
- Minimum commitment from 2 households in your neighbourhood
- This year we are offering 3 beautiful native species.
- Commitment to purchasing & planting 4 native understory tubestock plants per household** (~$3-5 each)
- Planted on private yards***
- Must be planted by July 31, or earlier!
- Sufficient yard space****
*Neighbours don’t need to be in your ‘street’ but must be local, as discussed with the Port Environment Centre (PEC).
**Plants don’t have to be distributed evenly. Households can participate simply by helping to garden!
***Verge spaces will be considered if private yards are not suitable. Must be agreed upon prior by PEC & City of PAE.
****Allocated yard space must be minimum 1 square metre & 1 cubic metre of soil capacity per tree, with adequate space for canopy that won’t adversely impact neighbours, roofs etc.